On Sat Mar 1 2014 Barak A. Pearlmutter wrote:
> but the actual path set
>
>  $ egrep bbdb-print-tex-path /xxx/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/bbdb-site.el
>  (defcustom bbdb-print-tex-path '("/usr/local/share")
>
> is (a) missing the trailing /bbdb, and (b) not being set according to
> the build-time ${datadir}.
>
> Anyone who installs to somewhere other than /usr/local/, or who
> otherwise changes datadir, will either not be able to find the TeX
> support files, or will need to debug and patch things.
>
> I solved this in one way in git://github.com/barak/bbdb3 branch
> suggest-v3.x by generating an extra file containing just that variable,
> generated at build time.  It could however be reworked easily enough to
> use sed etc to tweak the path in-place in bbdb-site.el instead.

The problem about your patch was that it not only defined the value
of the lisp variable bbdb-print-tex-path, but it also defined the
variable itself.  So if someone does not install BBDB via make, then
the variable bbdb-print-tex-path remains undefined and it would be
difficult for most users to figure out what went wrong.

A solution would be that the variable bbdb-print-tex-path is always
defined in bbdb-site.el.  But its (default) value is obtained either
by evaluating a separate lisp file which is created in the lisp
directory when installing BBDB via make.  Or, if that file does not
exist, bbdb-print-tex-path gets bound to some default value.  In any
case, the user can then always customize this variable.

> Anyway, I'll push this package into Debian.  I'm thinking it would
> make sense to simply supersede the existing bbdb package, by a 3.x
> package of the same name.  On the other hand, 3.x is far from
> backwards compatible with 2.x, so one can certainly argue that
> there should be a new package bbdb3, which conflicts with bbdb (<
> 3), thus keeping 2.x available for those who do not wish to
> upgrade yet.

I guess it would be good if on a multi-user machine old and new bbdb
can be installed in parallel.  However, I think it would never make
sense to load both old and new bbdb in one emacs session.  So in
that sense there should be no problem that both packages occupy the
same name space within emacs.  The user needs to choose whether to
load one or the other package in one emacs session.