Okay, I've reworked it again to satisfy, I believe, all criteria!

The pathway is simply bbdb-site.el.in to bbdb-site.el.

This is accomplished solely at "make" time, not "./configure" time.
(Using "sed" to replace the @foo@ things as well as the path.)

A pre-built bbdb-site.el can be included in the distribution tarball,
no problem.  (Might want to ensure that bbdb-site.el.in is newer
though, for obvious reasons.  There is probably some automake magic to
regenerate it anyway regardless of timestamp, I have not fiddled with
that.)

So basically, (a) it looks the same to the emacs package systems as
what you currently have, but (b) it properly swizzles the path in
question.

Cheers,

--Barak.