In general terms, I agree with your points, except in the case of the Australian
Aboriginal material. This is the oldest currently surviving culture on earth.
The current stories detail periods when the sea level was much lower and the
long extinct volcanos were active. They are of immense age. But what is most
interesting, "the land still speaks the stories". Those who have been initiated
into the higher levels can be put in an area out side their knowledge and they
can "read" the story and find their way around and locate sites etc. The problem
is when some people get a little knowledge and start trying to do the same
thing. We have people strip mining by writing books they have no right to
publish and even people running tourist ventures. In Australia we have the same
thing with people doing the same thing to other cultures. We have one man who
has taught over eight hundred people to make and use Indian Medicine drums as an
example. You would not believe the number of people houses full of Indian icons,
little, if any is make by an Indian. I would not like to see the same thing
happen to the Aboriginal.

Gil