"No matter without spirit
    no spirit without matter"

One ref I found of Steiner quoting this saying was in "Mysticism at the Dawn of the Modern Age" (GA 7). He must have used it elsewhere too because I don't recall reading that lecture before. See it at:
http://wn.elib.com/Steiner/Books/GA007/English/GA007_Giordano.html

As to quoting Steiner in general - I am sorry to have done that - I hate it when people do that too. Steiner spoke so widely on so many topics (is it 6000+ lectures he gave?) that you can nearly always find a quote that echoes your own point of view. Though he made notes beforehand, his lectures must have been somewhat "off the top of his head" so the context in which he said stuff is important. (His consistency is just amazing). But his written works - I suppose they are a different matter.

Funny, I thought I gave you a few clues to this, Markess, namely It is the motto of the Rudolph Steiner Foundation, San Francisco, founded in 1983.

Roger, that is hardly the origin of the saying. From the google I did it looks like it was in common theosophical usage, apparently quoting from Hindu "scripture", but I couldn't find a source.

I wonder what the Salamanders, Undines, Sylphs and Earthlings think of this?

I wonder if they "think" of this at all? 3 Kings prep? I don't use it, nor agnihotra.

But anyone care to get back to the subject?
--
Graeme Gerrard