@ Sebastian

Ah I forgot to mention loading capes from /boot/uEnv.txt. So . . .

*william@beaglebone:~$* cat /boot/uEnv.txt |grep cape
#cmdline=coherent_pool=1M quiet cape_universal=enable
video=HDMI-A-1:1024x768@60e
#cape_disable=capemgr.disable_partno=
#cape_enable=capemgr.enable_partno=
#cape_disable=bone_capemgr.disable_partno=

cape_enable=capemgr.enable_partno=<overlay_name> is the way to go. You can
assign multiple cape overlays with this feature, but I do not remember if
they are space, or comma separated. I'm thinking comma separated, but may
be wrong.

That's the first step.

The second step would be to . . .

Copy all your required overlays into /lib/firmware, which you've probably
already done.

*william@beaglebone:~$* cd /opt/scripts/
*william@beaglebone:/opt/scripts$* git pull
*william@beaglebone:/opt/scripts$* cd tools/developers/
*william@beaglebone:/opt/scripts/tools/developers$* sudo ./update_initrd.sh

What this does, is notes what's in uEnv.txt in the way of enabled capes,
then which overlays you have in /lib/firmware, and "injects" these overlays
into the initramfs. This is important, and if not done, your overlays will
not load at boot using this method. But the upside is that once done, this
will load your overlays at boot faster than any other method. Near
instantly at boot, 1-2 seconds tops.

Anyway, this method is fairly easy, and is actually the best way to go.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORoZOwrQ4DYG-NMXnMHCZpzCMAuPzRPFC4idCmLcenu_5w%40mail.gmail.com.