That recruiter is a disgrace for such an unconscionable, absurd statement!
Many of us are in that boat and most reputable employers allow their
employees time-off to deal with taking care of family members.  It's
probably just as well that they told you that in that getting further along
in the process with them probably would have caused even more frustration...

I know, it's difficult on here at times, but my experience is, if you do
the groundwork first, either/both BB.org and/or the community members will
help.  Have gotten a lot of help on here previously..