On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Nicolay A. Vasiliev wrote:

> To Randal and Chris. You all don't understand me.

There is a misunderstanding, but I'm not sure that it's Randal & me.

> CGI is a module, earlier
> wrote and stored in a separate files. I don't mean such objects.

And Python objects live where -- the sky? The stars?

> Python and Ruby don't write the code for me. But look at this Python code:
>
> s = "I am Perl guru";
> new_s = s.replace("Perl", "Python");

No, you're using Python's built in string operators. Perl has them too:

 $s = "I am a Perl guru";
 ( $new_s = $s ) =~ s/perl/python/;

Remark, no additional modules.

> Huh? Remark, no addition modules.

You're using methods defined by modules that live with Python.

Why bother splitting this hair? It's a distinction without a difference.

> By the way, these languages have people friendly exceptions handling ;) with
> try-except in Python and begin-rescue in Ruby.

You haven't come across eval{...} yet, have ya?

The differences among Perl, Python, and Ruby are mostly semantic -- each
of them can accomplish all the same tasks, but they wrap up the way to
implement these tasks in ever-so-slightly different syntax. But so what?
Any of them are *much* more pleasant to work with than Java, C/C++, or
*shudder* Visual Basic.

--
Chris Devers