Thanks guys - this reminded me of why I always liked subversion!  If you accidentally delete some files locally, subversion will retrieve them from the upstream repository (which git doesn't...)

I think everything's now installed okay - except that when I attempt my first CMake 'configure' it gives me this error:-

    CMake Error at build_files/cmake/platform/platform_win32.cmake:174 (message):
    Windows requires pre-compiled libs at:
    'F:/Blender/../lib/windows_vc14'

This looks like it's assuming a 32-bit build whereas I downloaded 'win64_vc14', rather than 'windows_vc14'.  How do I tell it I want a 64-bit build?

John