On 15 Nov 2007, at 7:16 PM, Michael McCracken wrote:

> On 11/15/07, Christiaan Hofman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> Well, true, it might be useful if something were included somewhere
>>> about what kinds of sites do work (i.e., which site-scrapers already
>>> exist)
>>>
>>> BTW, clicking on a PDF link in Google Scholar (and presumably
>>> elsewhere) loads it quite nicely in the window, but then tells me
>>> that
>>> it "Failed to read HTML string from document." In Leopard, there's a
>>> nice floaty window that allows you to open it in Preview, from which
>>> you can drag it back into BibDesk... but it would be nice to have an
>>> option to attach the PDF as a local-url when it's imported.
>>>
>>> -A
>>
>> That would be impossible. there is no item to link the PDF to. Items
>> that are not imported yet are not editable (and that won't change).
>>

> Just a thought about this - if a user wants to edit an item that isn't
> imported yet, wouldn't it be safe to assume that they will want to
> import that item?
> So this means that once a user changes an item, we just import it
> for them.
> Probably there would have to be a notice sheet that explains this
> (assuming you could choose to not show that notice again).
>
> Comments on that idea?
> I understand it's some work, and the current behavior is easily
> understood, so I wouldn't fight for it, but it's come up before...
>
> -mike

The imported item is not the same item as the external item (and it
can't be). So it would not make any difference whether it's imported
or not. There are many problems if we would make external items
editable. E.g. lots of editing expects the item to have a document,
which they don't have. I certainly don't feel like looking into it.