Please note that this is part of the Madison Yards development -- a
private, mixed-use development that will go east of the new DOT building
where the gigantic parking lot was located -- NOT the actual state
buildings.

Also, the dispute seems to be about Segoe, not Sheboygan, and in a Madison
Bikes Facebook thread, we have been assured that things are not as they
seem in the article. (I'm skeptical, but am reporting what other alders
have said.)

>From Mark Clear, who represents the district west of Arvina's. (Mark is a
bike commuter, as is his wife, so should be a good advocate, although I
note he voted against the protected bike lanes on Winnebago last night as
well):

*"I worked with Ald. Martin on this amendment. "Whether bike lanes on this
particular segment of Segoe are a good idea is a separate question from the
Madison Yards project, and deserves its own review. It never came up in the
year-plus review of the project. Segoe is not being altered by the project.
One member of the Plan Commission added this condition at (literally) the
last minute, before anyone had a chance to think it through. "Ald. Martin
and I thought it best not to conflate the discussion of bike lanes on Segoe
with the project itself, which is why we proposed removing the condition."*

If you want to see the full thread, it is available on the Madison Bikes
group here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MBIIC/permalink/1454886877950634/

Robbie Webber
Transportation geek
All opinions are my own, and not necessarily those of any group or
organization with which I am affiliated.

Founding member, Madison Bikes <http://www.madisonbikes.org/>
*...where anyone can ride a bicycle conveniently and comfortably to any
place year round.*
MadisonBikes.org <http://www.madisonbikes.org/>
Follow Madison Bikes on Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/groups/MBIIC/>