*Mark Clear wrote (on Facebook)"Whether bike lanes on this particular
segment of Segoe are a good idea is a separate question from the Madison
Yards project, and deserves its own review. It never came up in the
year-plus review of the project. Segoe is not being altered by the project.
One member of the Plan Commission added this condition at (literally) the
last minute, before anyone had a chance to think it through. "Ald. Martin
and I thought it best not to conflate the discussion of bike lanes on Segoe
with the project itself, which is why we proposed removing the condition."*

> If you want to see the full thread, it is available on the Madison Bikes
group here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MBIIC/permalink/1454886877950634/

I guess I'm still not clear (<ahem>) what actually happened. It sounds
like, from the FB discussion, that Ald. Martin didn't say what the paper
has her saying?
“We wanted to take this [a city planning requirement that the developer
work with the city’s traffic engineering staff to ensure that sufficient
right-of-way is dedicated along Segoe Road to include bicycle lanes] out
because there are concerns about parking in the area and we know that
having bike lanes would be a great idea, but we want to make sure we
maximize the parking around the facility,” Martin said."

Ald. Clear makes it sound like somebody else added the amendment/condition
and then mentions that this exemption panicked the developer and threatened
their financing.  I could see an condition *requiring* more land be
dedicated for bike lanes might "panic" a developer and so an amendment to
exempt them might be soothing ... for the developer.

Andy Bach,
afb...@gmail.com
608 658-1890 cell
608 261-5738 wk