On 7/9/2019 5:38 PM, john wagnitz via Bikies wrote:
Anybody taking bets on how long before we see a fatality on the bike path in Madison? I predict before the end of the month. The offenders are not riding B-Cycles but seem to all be riding “bikes” with the Copenhagen wheel. I’m pretty sure they are breaking the speed limit.

Insofar as I know, there is no speed limit on Madison paths and state trails. What statute, ordinance, or administrative rule do you think establishes a speed limit?

The State Legislature gave local governments the power to regulate these “bikes.”

The "e-bike bill" has been passed by the Senate and recommended by an Assembly to the full house, but not passed by the Assembly or signed into law by the government. The powers you describe do not yet exist.

I hope any local officials reading this post will do something before somebody gets seriously injured, or killed.
John Wagnitz

The supporters of the e-bike bill (including the Wisconsin Bike Fed, the American Heart Association, the Cities and Chambers of Commerce of Madison and Milwaukee, Greater Wisconsin Agency on Aging Resources, Trek, Harley-Davidson, Uber, and the WI League of Municipalities) agree that differences in speed in congested areas, not speed, and especially not the source of motive power, are the source of many safety risks.

They urge those who will have power to regulate the newly defined vehicles to first consider separation of modes, e.g., providing cycle tracks parallel to roads and separating multi-use paths into cycle tracks and pedestrian ways. This solution is in place and working well on the busiest active transportation facilities in Madison: the Capital City State Trail at Monona Terrace, where bike commuter and fishermen and -women safely coexist.

If there is still a safety problem, or if mode separation is infeasible, then regulators should consider speed limits for all facility users, not just one vehicle type. We all have seen bicycle athletes on completely human-powered bikes hammering down multi-use paths without regard to other users. Why pick out e-bikes, or Copenhegen Wheel users, for special attention?
--
Steve Arnold, Former Mayor, and
Chair, Wisconsin Bike Fed Board of Directors Lobbying Committee