Could not agree more, Be Best.

My wife and I are lifelong road and touring cyclists. We're retired at this point an tandem cycle daily. We spent some 40 years on a range of high end tandems but in the last couple years both have developed Sacro Iliac Dysfunction which in recent years has limited out ride length and hill climbing. We as a matter of pain control had a custom tandem built with a Shimano Steps e-assist motor (250 watt mid drive) which is set to provide climbing assist when our speed drops below 12 mph (max assist speed restricted to 18mph)

We ride on many local trails and bikeways on our way to Paoli, Bellville, Oregon, New Glarus, Monroe and points beyond. We have the luxury of riding during the day when there are a whole lot of similarly situated folks riding all of the trails around Madison on e-assist bike of one variety or another. I've yet to see anyone on an e-assist bicycle doing anything that even approaches the fears expressed in some earlier emails. Fact is hundreds of e-assist bikes are being used in active mode on Madison and Dane county bike trails and this has been true for several years.

I see the opposite, lots of folks renting B-cycle e-assist bikes who are acting responsibly. Riding below the upper limit of e-assist speed restrictions (these are firmware restricted speed controls). Fact is I'm seeing 3X as many people riding bikes compared to last year.

So let's temper the hyperbole and celebrate the fact that more people are cycling and cycling longer in years and miles.

Brian Mink
Monona, WI