Thanks for writing this up.

I would prefer that we continue to have a mailing list where email is a
functional and first class user interface. So that would be to migrate
to groups.io or Google Groups. I think Google Groups is probably the
better choice of the two.

Although there are concerns that Google would shut down Google Groups or
specifically target a bitcoin-dev group, I think both are unlikely to
happen. Both Chromium and Android use Google Groups for their mailing
lists, so unless those go somewhere else, I doubt Google would
unceremoniously kill Google Groups. As for shutting down a bitcoin-dev
group specifically, given that there appears to be several thousand
groups whose sole purpose is to distribute spam, I don't think Google is
in the habit of shutting down groups.

Regardless of what we do, there's always the risk that someone will shut
down or stop maintaining the servers for any discussion medium. Even
self hosting requires someone to keep the servers up and do maintenance,
and that person (or people) could get bored of it, run out of money, get
hit by a bus, etc. We're experiencing that right now with the Linux
Foundation, and I don't think fear of that should prevent us from moving
to a different third party host.

Andrew Chow