I think GitHub Discussions is a great idea. If we are considering proprietary
options like Google Groups, then we should definitely consider Discussions.

1. Guaranteed that nearly everyone participating here already has a GH account.
2. Offers many moderation options.
3. Good formatting abilities(tables!).
4. Can @ people.
5. Ability to categorize, close, lock discussions, etc.
6. Many great potential opportunities for automation via Actions.
7. Comes with added benefits such as a wiki, issues, etc.

My one catch is that I do not know what kind of interactions you can have with
Discussions via email. This seems to be an important feature for many. What
level of email notifications can you receive? Can you respond via email?