>From: Chris Staub <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>Walter Barnes wrote:
>>> From: Dan Nicholson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>
>>> First thing to note is that what's in LFS isn't supposed to be a
>>> feature complete system. It tries to create a general development
>>> system for you to build on. So, if links needs to be part of your base
>>> install, you shouldn't feel like you're doing something wrong. My
>>> "base install" is considerably larger than what's in LFS since my
>>> barrier for "minimum for usability" is higher. Nothing wrong with
>>> that.
>>
>> That's true but if you're new to Linux then you need BLFS before installing
>> anything. Because you have long-time experience with Linux you're forgetting
>> the chapter in BLFS that deals with post-LFS configuration issues. I could
>> very well be wrong here but I suspect those with more experience will set up
>> users and do other configuration tasks as soon as possible before finishing
>> LFS to limit time spent as root. If an individual already knows these things
>> then why would that person wait?

>That would depend on what you mean by "new to Linux"...unless you mean
>new to LFS. LFS itself isn't designed for Linux newbies to begin with,
>so we don't have to worry about their needs.

Ok, but the very presence of chapter 3 (and to a larger extent, Part II) in
BLFS suggests that regardless of the user's level of experience, system
configuration will still be new to some extent. Therefore, it will be neccesary
to read these chapter(s) while running the new LFS system.

>> Most new users on the other hand will only do these things once they get to
>> BLFS.
>>
>Yes, and the very last page of LFS suggests looking at BLFS and even
>installing a few extra packages from BLFS (such as wget or a text web
>browser) while still in chroot. Not LFS's fault if users don't read that
>page...

But why? It doesn't matter what LFS lacks, all that matters is what it has: you
can boot into it and read info pages.

>>>From an earlier post on this thread:
>>
>>         I don't really understand why BLFS is not available in
>>         info format so you can easily read it in a fresh LFS
>>
>> Walter
>>
>I don't recall anyone ever asking for that before, so probably the
>reason there isn't one is because there simply isn't demand for it. Most
>LFS users (the ones who actually read the above-mentioned last couple
>pages in LFS at least) tend to either download BLFS in HTML format and
>use a text web browser, or install dhcpcd or other networking stuff
>while still in chroot and access BLFS online.

Most likely, no one has ever asked because it never occured to anyone that a
fresh LFS has Texinfo so continuing on to BLFS while still in chroot should be
unneccesary. After completing LFS and knowing that it includes Texinfo I fully
expected BLFS to be available as an info page; I was very surprised to find
that this is not the case.

Walter