On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 21:11:03 -0700 (PDT), Walter Barnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>>From: Dan Nicholson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>>On 10/9/07, Walter Barnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Providing BLFS in info format does not require dumbing down *LFS or
> making any other major changes to its content. All that's required is to
> put aside what one likes or dislikes and consider that Texinfo is a part of
> LFS so why not provide BLFS in info format?
>>
>>Do you really know that? Do you know how the LFS books are produced?
>>It's not just personal taste that dictates these things.
>
> No, I do not know how the LFS books are produced. If selecting a
> particular format for presentation would require changes to the content
> material (as in added/removed/edited sections, paragraphs, etc.) then I
> stand corrected.

The books are written in XML (actually, a particular XML dialect called
DocBook).  These sources can then be processed to produce a number of different
output formats, HTML & PDF being two of them.  The stylesheet package we use
can also produce man pages, but by default, there's no texinfo conversion
stylesheets available.  That said, I think the man page output requires
particular markup which is unsuitable for the other output formats.

I'm not sure quite how helpful having BLFS available in an "LFS-native" format
would be.  You said you'd need dhcpcd installed in order to bring your network
interface up.  Although, if we were to produce texinfo/man page versions of the
book, you'd obviously be able to read the instructions for compiling it, but
how are you going to obtain the source package?  If, as I suspect, you're going
to have to rely on your host system in order to download it, why can't you also
rely on your host system to browse the LFS book until such time as you have a
HTML/PDF reader available?

We used to also produce plain text output for at least LFS.  That might also be
an option here and such a stylesheet would *probably* be trivial as there's
only certain amounts of formatting one can apply.  The resultant .txt file
would be pretty unwieldy to navigate for something the size of BLFS though.

Regards,

Matt.