On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 08:46:20PM -0400, alex lupu wrote:
> BLFS i686-pc-linux-gnu
> kernel 3.4.1
> glibc 2.14.1
> gcc 4.7.0
> GNU Make 3.81
> binutils 2.22

 Is that what you are building, or what is on your host ?

 In either case, it doesn't match any version of the book (old glibc
and make, very recent gcc and binutils), so I assume you have
updated some packages but not others ?  Doing that is fine, but if
it breaks you can get unusual problems, perhaps this is one of them.

 And at the risk of boring people, and attracting scorn from those
who *do* update glibc versions in-place, I repeat that the only
recommended way to update glibc versions on LFS is to make a new
build on a different partition.

> While using the glibc-2.15 procedure from Chapter 6 of the LFS book
> (seds, patches, cases and the rest), my 'make' fails with,
> "undefined reference to `__gcc_personality_v0'"
> in various library modules.
> A quick check,
> nm /usr/lib/libc.a | grep gcc_personality
>          U __gcc_personality_v0
>          U __gcc_personality_v0
> shows plenty of undefines.
>
> Am I missing something obvious?
> Any positive help will be highly valued.
> Thanks,
> -- Alex

 The only recent matches on google are for people doing static
linking (perhaps only with tinycc, not gcc).  However, looking at
one of the links eventually led me to a comment that
gcc_personality is provided by libgcc_s.  If you are in chapter 5,
I've no idea.  If you are in chapter 6, perhaps something is wrong
with your /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so{,.1} symlinks [ section 6.6 ].

ĸen