Armin K. wrote:

> Yeah, you can break it if you just overwrite it while running. But not
> if done correctly or from other system while LFS is not running. Correct
> way is to remove old and install new one while old one still remains in
> memory to avoid "text file busy" errors. That requires using destdir
> method tough. I never had problems with that one or anything else. Ya
> need to experiment more ... Not just to accept what someone says. If
> something bad happened in the past, then probably it is fixed in
> present. Just look at distros, they upgrade C library while system is
> running - that's probably first method - remove old while it is still in
> memory.

My thought has always been that it can be done, but it's tricky and has
the potential to hose your system if not done right.

I'm glad you know how to do the upgrade, but I wouldn't feel right in
making it a general recommendation.  I've upgraded the kernel and gcc in
place before and wouldn't have a lot of problems with a binutils upgrade
in place (never had the need).  However glibc touches everything.  The
more of an upgrade, the more hesitant I am.

   -- Bruce