Over the past few days, Windows Explorer has been hanging on me.

Typically I'll be browsing for files or trying to open a file and Explorer
just hangs.  If I close the program, then I am unable to start it for some
time (or I get an error).  If I wait a bit, Explorer can be started again.

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit.

does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to fix this problem?
I've run a complete virus scan and spyware scan of my system and haven't
found any issues.

?thanks for any advice.  This is very frustrating.

--Pete