Hey Joey,
Thanks for working to remove a quirk! Although we haven't written it into
our compat principles <http://bit.ly/blink-compat>, I'm personally willing
to accept greater compat risk for removing quirks as they're by-definition
legacy behavior of the web which create an ongoing complexity burden for
the platform which we should seek to eventually eliminate.

Reading through the history
<https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/2988#issuecomment-1271763702> of
WebKit not being able to make this change due to severe breakage in
bugzilla and seeing that we still load 12% of pages in quirks mode
<https://chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/2034>, I
don't think I can support proceeding without UseCounter data. Personally I
would be happy to approve if we had a UseCounter with less than our small
but non-trivial risk threshold
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RC-pBBvsazYfCNNUSkPqAVpSpNJ96U8trhNkfV0v9fk/edit#heading=h.mqfkui78vo5z>
of 0.001% of page loads. Based on Simon's previous HTTP Archive analysis
<https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/2988#issuecomment-326249793> you'll
want to exclude the case where the strings match in your calculation. I
think ignoring cases where the child text is empty is also fine as it'll
avoid false positives with script updated DOM that Simon described and
because replacing empty with non-empty string is almost certainly an
improvement. WDYT?

Rick