On Thu, Jan 26, 2023 at 5:07 PM Simon Pieters <zcor...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> Thanks for working on this, Joey. Removing quirks where possible is always
> nice!
>
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 7:18 PM Joey Arhar <jar...@chromium.org> wrote:
>
>> Sounds good, I'm adding a UseCounter here:
>> https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/chromium/src/+/4193560
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 24, 2023 at 8:05 AM Rick Byers <rby...@chromium.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey Joey,
>>> Thanks for working to remove a quirk! Although we haven't written it
>>> into our compat principles <http://bit.ly/blink-compat>, I'm personally
>>> willing to accept greater compat risk for removing quirks as they're
>>> by-definition legacy behavior of the web which create an ongoing complexity
>>> burden for the platform which we should seek to eventually eliminate.
>>>
>>> Reading through the history
>>> <https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/2988#issuecomment-1271763702> of
>>> WebKit not being able to make this change due to severe breakage in
>>> bugzilla and seeing that we still load 12% of pages in quirks mode
>>> <https://chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/2034>,
>>>

> In https://almanac.httparchive.org/en/2020/markup#conclusion the number
> was 3.97% of *pages* in httparchive are in quirks mode, and if I remember
> correctly, this has further declined slightly in 2021 and 2022. I'm not
> sure why there's a 3x discrepancy between the use counter page view number
> and the httparchive pages number, though. Does an about:blank iframe
> trigger the use counter?

Wow, that is surprising to me! Typically the biggest discrepancy comes from
the fact that usage is head-heavy with 1/3rd of page loads being from the
top 100 origins <https://twitter.com/RickByers/status/1195342331588706306>,
and I would absolutely expect the head to not be using quirks mode. Perhaps
there's one or two popular sites using quirks mode? No, only http/https
schemes contribute to UseCounters IIRC so about:blank shouldn't be the
problem.  Or maybe there's some discrepancy in how we're identifying quirky
pages.

cheers,