On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 12:07:52PM -0500, Peter R. Wood wrote:
> > 4. More in-depth books than "Missing Manual". Hints on hardware
> > especially  helpful.
>
> Run, don't walk, to get O'Reilly's "Mac OS X For UNIX Geeks" - if want to
> leverage your UNIX knowledge with your new Mac system, this book will be
> invaluable. I got a copy for Christmas... it's very handy.

Really?  I flipped through it in the bookstore and didn't find much
of value to a long-time UNIX user.  Specifically, I wanted to see much
more discussion about netinfo and other darwin/osx-isms that you don't
find on other *NIXes.  The coverage of netinfo was pretty much limited
to "there's a utility called nidump, and another called niutil", but no
coverage on how to add a new group, etc.

(You can limp through by reading the copious online docs and manpages though.)

Z.