Some addenda:

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Drew Taylor wrote:

> User Groups

Do *not* sign up for Omnigroup's OSX client list. Scariest den of trolls
I've ever seen. Fun for a day, mutilating after a week. I'm told that
their OSX server lists are saner but the client list was so brutal that
I'm afraid to give it a chance.

> Books/Docs

Most Unix books are easily portable. I've skimmed several of the OSX books
in bookstores, but have found that a lot of the GUI stuff doesn't really
need documentation, and a lot of the Unix stuff is better documented
elsewhere. Exceptions: Cocoa & Carbon (obviously), NetInfo (I haven't yet
noticed any books focusing on it [would there be a point?  hasn't it been
deprecated?]), maybe books on iMovie etc if you want to read about that.

> Software

Other good software, skimming my dock:

* Sherlock / Watson
  OSX 10.0 came out with its version of Sherlock (3.0?), and it was...
meh. Then Watson came out, and trounced it in every way -- this is very
neat software for getting information of all sorts from the internet. Then
Jaguar brought Sherlock 3.5, and -- supposedly by coincidence -- it's much
like Watson, but free (with the system). I'm told that Watson is easier to
extend than Sherlock, and some people seem to be annoyed at Apple for how
much the current version of Sherlock appears to be a Watson clone, but in
any case they're both pretty good & worth playing with.

* VNCThing
  For all your VNC needs. Well, client side. There is/was OSXVnc to act as
a VNC server, but last I checked the site had disappeared and the software
was hard to find. Better ones may be available by now anyway.

* JediKnight
  A decent IRC client, even if you don't like Star Wars anymore. I still
haven't found a GUI irc client that I really like, but then I still
haven't found a CLI irc client that I really like either. *shrug*

* iCal
  Neat calendar application, and integrated with iSync so you can keep it
coordinated with a Palm Pilot. Now if only iSync would get better with
Clie support...

* MacJournal
  Neat memo-taking application. I'd be happy if a way were found to get
this to be the memo application for PDAs, as iCal is for time/todo info
and Address Book is for contact data. Hell I'd even be happy if Apple
ripped it off and offered a version of their own if it could just be the
repository for PDA memos. Well, sorta happy with Apple if they did that.

* iPulse
  Neat system utilization monitor dock thingy. Fun in a clever UI "well,
that's one way to present a bunch of volatile real-time data to the user."
Can't decide if I like it enough to pay the shareware fee though...

* iChat
  The cartoon metaphor for IM discussion works surprisingly well, and the
integration with the system address book is useful. On the other hand, it
seems to crash a lot, and it would be nice if it could integrate with
other IM services. (On the gripping hand, it would be better still if all
these &^#^&! IM servers were interoperable in the first place...).

> MUA

Also take a look at Outlook Express. Microsoft has the product Entourage
now, and I forget if that's their current name for Outlook Express (which
is the free pop-/imap-/smtp-only client) or Outlook (the full blown &
fully blown exchange-server virus vector that you have to actually pay
for along with Office), but whatever name they're using for the free one
now, it's not bad & nowhere near as bad as the Windows version.

That and Pine, of course :)

--
Chris Devers    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Lotus, n.
A sleep-inducting corporation claiming ownership of the sequence 1-2-3,
and hence, via Peano's axioms, threatening dominion over Z+ the set of
natural numbers. See also PATENT.

The Lotus 1-2-3 trademark may clash with my prior claim over all
subsets in the decimal expansion of Pi. Are the courts
number-theoretically ready to try such cases?

Borland, paradoxically, has the upper hand, since they now control
(figuratively) the zero spreadsheet. Lotus may well rue the day they
did not follow the C option-base convention: Lotus 0-1-2.

    -- from _The Computer Contradictionary_, Stan Kelly-Bootle, 1995