Jeroen wrote:
> I could write my own reply to that, but William Goodall already
wrote
> something that qualifies as an excellent response to what you are
saying,
> so I will just quote it here:
>
> >Dictionaries are descriptive rather than prescriptive: that is they
describe
> >how words *are* used not how words *ought* to be used. Additionally
they are
> >inclusive rather than exclusive: if a usage is in a dictionary that
means
> >that some people have used the word that way, but if a usage is not
in a
> >dictionary that does not mean that the word has not been used that
way by
> >some people.

When we are discussing meaning of words, it is imperative that we rely
upon dictionaries, because they are THE sources that tell us HOW A
WORD IS USED.  If I decide that "blue" ought to mean "green", I can
with justification be called wrong on that, because the *commonly
accepted definition* is that "blue" does not mean "green".

You and William are both arguing that the common and authoritative
definition of a word is wrong.  Near as I can tell, NOT ONE SINGLE
AUTHORITATIVE SOURCE ON WORD USAGE OR ETYMOLOGY has agreed with your
position.  You are in the position of (metaphorcally) arguing that up
is down.

That's stupid.

I refuse to waste my time teaching a pig to sing.  Root, hog.  Enjoy
your blissful ignorance.

Adam C. Lipscomb
[EMAIL PROTECTED]