Jeroen wrote:
*************
At 09:46 04-10-2002 -0700, Adam Lipscomb wrote:

>you have apparently decided to use your need to study
for an important
>exam as a pretext for halting your participation in
this discussion of
>of the meaning and origins of the term "anti-Semite",

That part of your sentence is true...

>with the primary intent of avoiding having to admit
to an incorrect
>(although understandable, for someone for whom
English is not a native
>language) understanding of the meaning of the term.

...and that part of your sentence is false. There are
essentially two
reasons to halt my participation: one is the upcoming
exam, the other is
the fact that this discussion is not going anywhere
anyway.
************

And why is it going nowhere?  I, as well as others on
the list, have shown citations to detail our claims.
You insist in the face of evidence that your
interpretation of the term "anti-Semite" is correct,
yet give no citations.  It's a quid pro quo here,
Jeroen - we've shown our surces, you haven't.  Put up
or shut up.

***************
>Are you willing to accept that the definition of
"anti-Semite" in common
>usage and general understanding is "Jew-hater"?

I never disputed that "Jew-hater" is the common usage
and general
understanding of the word "anti-Semite"; I dispute
that it is the *correct*
usage.
*****************

So, you refuse to recognize the Oxford English
Dictionary, the recognized authority on the
definitions, origins and proper usage of words in the
English language, as correct?  I *really* don't get
this - can you please explain why you reject the OED
as an authoritative source?  I'm not asking for an L3
post - just a simple explanation as to why you insist
your position is the correct one.

If you won't argue in good faith on this issue, how
can we trust you to do the same on others?

Jeroen "Likud Delenda Est" van Baardwijk