Sorry, I meant to include this in my previous email
but it got deleted somehow.

Alberto wrote:

Jeroen's behavious was no different than any other
listmember, except for magnitude or intensity.
But magnitude and intensity make all the difference.
Many U.S. cities have noise ordinances. With some,
you can't make noise over a certain level at a
certain time of day. With others, you can't make a
certain level of noise at all. One specific law I
recently heard about is that it is now illegal in
some city or other to have your car stereo up loud
enough to be heard more than three car-lengths away.
So you can listen to music, and you can listen to it
loud, but you can't listen to it *too* loud.

It's the same as if you were teaching a gradeschool
class. You can't keep all the kids from talking or
whispering all the time, but you *can* keep the general
volume level down as much as possible. You do this
by finding the worst offender (the one making the
greatest magnitude and intensity of disruption) and
getting them to stop by giving them a detention or
sending them to the principal's office.

It's also the same at work. If I make a little
mistake, I get told what I did and am told to not
do it again. If I make a really big mistake and
cause a customer to loose several thousand dollars
worth of business, I could get seriously reprimanded
or possibly even fired.

Magnitude and intensity make all the difference in
the world.

Reggie Bautista