----- Original Message -----
From: "William T Goodall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "BRIN-L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 12:32 PM
Subject: Re: Internet Free Speech struck down by Australian court

> on 11/12/02 5:43 pm, Dan Minette at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

OK, I guess you are technically correct.  There is no free speech in
publishing; just freedom of the press as given in the 1st Amendment to the
US Constitution:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech,
or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to
petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

What was the reason for making this distinction?  I'm still not clear why
the slightly sloppy reference to freedom of the press as freedom of speech
in publishing needs to be corrected in quite that manner. Why not say
"technically that's freedom of the press" and leave it at that?

Dan M.