----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Sharkey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2003 12:24 PM
Subject: Re: A Problem For Conservatives

> Robert Seeberger wrote:
> From: "Jim Sharkey"
> >>Pardon my ignorance, but who is Samuel Poist, and why do you think
> >>he speaks for all conservatives?
> >I would never accuse Gautam or JDG of following this crowd, but I
> >think Gautam and JDG are in the minority in this regard.
>
> I would agree with that.  I was going to ask that very question.  JDG is
very much a Christian Conservative, but I don't imagine he views the Big
Bang as screed.  I'd be interested in hearing his opinion.

While I didnt have John in mind, I agree that his view may be quite
interesting.

> >>A little background would certainly clear some things up, thanks!>If you
can listen to talkradio during the day, listening
> >to http://www.950kprc.com/main.html would make my rant a bit
> >clearer in the long term.
>
> I'll try to do that some time, thanks.

They just recently started streaming their station. I wish they had been
doing so when the subject came up before. I'm interested to know whether
what I see is just a local abberation or if it is par for the nation as a
whole.

> >>Is it completely wrong to point out that scientists can't prove
> >>the Big Bang?
> >I think the lack of an alternate explanation with credible evidence
> >to back it up is telling.  I'm not an athiest, though I find them
> >agreeable.
>
> You and Adam make some fair points in that regard.  I was more speaking
from a philosophical standpoint than from one of having back up for your
claims.  While you both point out some interesting evidence, it doesn't
amount to proof at this point.

> In regards to atheists being "agreeable," I am afraid I've found my
experiences with them to be far less so.  And perhaps it's a reaction to
that.  For every one like Jeroen who merely allows his atheism to be just
one part of his whole, I've encountered several that act as if it not only
defines them, but also grant them an intelligence tenfold beyond their
peers.  That attitude could certainly, IMO, make folks like Mr. Poist posit
reactionary rhetoric like the item you pointed out.  Not that they're not
probably already inclined to do so, of course.

To be fair, (and I should have said so before), I find moderately religious
people agreeable too. I find John agreeable.
I'm not very fond of the polemic extremes.

> >So no, I dont think that is a fair question. Its like coming home
> >after a hard day at work and having your wife claim you did nothing
> >all day.
>
> Interesting analogy.

I find it a bit irksome that so many people have so little appreciation of
the billions of man-hours of work it has taken to give us the level of
detail we can learn from the sciences today. It really extrordinary what has
been achieved.

> Especially given your background.  I suppose you might take his position a
little personally.  :)

Well....its not as if this is something that happened to me exactly, but I
suppose I do relate to it at a cetain level. <G>

> However, my wife might argue that holding down the fort all day with three
children under age seven is at least equally difficult as working all day.
:-)  (A discussion for another thread, I'm sure.)

Being the oldest of seven, I would have to agree with your wife.<G>

xponent
Bible Black Maru
rob