From: "Reggie Bautista" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Your Favorite SciFi/Fantasy Movie Soundtrack?
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:13:38 -0600

Did you read Roddenberry's novelization of ST:TMP? (Some say it was ghost-written by Alan Dean Foster.) It's great science fiction, although it doesn't really feel like a Trek novel. It includes such things as a mental implant in all Star Fleet officers above a certain rank that is capable of transmitting images and sounds directly into the brain of that officer. This is the device used to summon Kirk to Starfleet Command early in the book.
Hi, Reggie!

That's what I found great about the early Trek novels. They expanded so much the Trek universe and made it entirely three-dimensional. Novels like ST:TMP went behind the psyche of James Kirk, to the point that the prologue to the book was SIGNED by "James T. Kirk". That was a rather nice touch. :)

Novels like "Return to Yesterday", "Yesterday's Son" and "Sarek", by AC Crispin explored in depth the reality of Spock, while "Dreams of the Raven" by Carmen Carter dealt so much with the motivations behind the character of Bones. I don't mean to ramble, but I was rather dismayed when I found out Gene Rodenberry's "verdict" that stated the Trek novels were *not* part of the Trek continuum. After that, the Trek novels somewhat lost me, and I don't follow them with the same enthusiasm that I did until then. (This would've been.. '92 thru '95?). I've picked up the books occasionally, and I know what they're about, but I don't really go into them with the same energy.

However, I also heard that George Lucas has approved the SW novels as part of the "canon" of the Star Wars universe. Was this true?

Maybe this would've been a slap in the face against Gene's and Paramount's paramilitaristic perspective of the Trek franchise. Paramount doesn't really take fan fiction, fan websites, etc. quite well, while George Lucas supports fans' demonstrations of appreciation.

Speaking of novelizations, there's also a lot of background info which can be found in Trek movie novels which was left out of the scripts for the films that made it to the big screen, like the entire "prologue" for ST6:TFF. Or the prologue for "Generations", where Kirk is seen skydiving from Earth's orbit. (This was actually filmed; I saw the footage somewhere in the Internet some years ago).

JJ