Reggie Bautista wrote:

> Chad wrote:
> >Justice
> >Christian - Commutative Justice (Eye for an Eye)
>
> This bit is absolutely incorrect.  Matthew chapter 5, verses 38-40:
> "You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.'  But I
> tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right
> cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take
> your tunic, let him have your cloak as well."
>
> The idea of "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth" came out of Leviticus
> or Exodus I believe, and was actually an attempt to calm people down.
> Before the rule became "an eye for an eye," the practice was "a life for an
> eye, a life for a tooth."  "An eye for an eye" was an attempt to bring the
> retribution in line with the offense, and even that amount of retribution
> was removed by Jesus' statement above.

Exodus 21:24.

King James Bible (no, not a great translation, but I can cut & paste
from it easily):
Exodus 21:

23.  And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life,
24.  Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,
25.  Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

(Thanks to John Walker at fourmilab.ch for putting the KJ Bible on-line;
I could have set it up as
http://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/www/Bible/Exodus.html#21:24 for just the
one verse.)