--- Doug Pensinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Deborah Harrell wrote:
>
> > Yet we live in a marvelous world, with such a
> >variety of living things:  snow algae!  <snip>
> >and us...the singing apes.  All
> > of us made out of stardust.  Frickin' *amazing*...
>
> I could have written almost everything you did in
> the above post, less the references to the divine.
>
> For myself it is not necessary to attach
> spirituality or numinous
> experiences to the notion of a god.

<smile>
Not *necessity,* rather 'organically grown out of.'
It isn't that I *require* a god to have created the
universe, but that I *experience* what I can only call
Divinity.  In case it wasn't clear, my notion of
godhood -> divinity has evolved and changed radically
from what I grew up with: I started out as a
bred-and-born Lutheran, found part of the doctrine of
Christianity incompatible with what I learned in
college (about people and what I consider 'fair &
just', not coursework or book-learning; IOW I never
saw science and God as incompatible, but church
doctrine and humankind 'did not compute' for me), and
have been altering/refining/redefining my concept of
the Divine ever since.

And you didn't ask, but did I ever think of the
possibility that there was no such Entity?  Yes.  In a
nutshell, I quit experiencing the numinous for a time;
then it resumed.

Bottom line: my experience and concept of the Divine
makes me strive to be a more understanding, kind and
involved person.  I frequently fail, but I do keep
trying.

<wry>
That still doesn't answer your question, does it?

Debbi