From: "John D. Giorgis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Killer Bs Discussion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Re: On the topic of atheism.
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 05:53:46 -0400 (EDT)

-------Original Message-------
From: Jon Gabriel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
"It is impossible to prove that God ...exists... with the exception of anecdotal examples."

Why does belief in anecdotal examples constitute "faith"? Is there some kind of "critical mass" of anecdotal examples that constitutes proof? Or do you consider belief in evolution to require a similar type of "faith" as you attribute to being required for belief in God?

Belief in anecdotal examples constitutes faith because, as Erik said, they cannot be scientifically proven or their results replicated. Their quantity makes no difference. Evolution and the theories behind it are provable and replicable through scientific means and are therefore not a faith-based method of evaluating species divergence. By contrast, creationism is, in general, based on faulty logic and questionable conclusions and is therefore faith-based.

My personal beliefs diverge from the universal existential negative theory here in the following manner.

I do believe that since our scientific capacities and capabilities are increasing each day (and with them, our knowledge of the universe) that it is perfectly possible and imo, likely that science will one day identify God. But I don't personally need such proof to believe that God exists or see his handiwork. I see God in everything from the intricate details of an insect's wing to the complexity of the human hand. But I can't *prove* it. I just *know*. That's my faith. And I honestly don't care who disagrees with me. :)

Jon

Le Blog: http://zarq.livejournal.com