From: Erik Reuter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Killer Bs Discussion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: On the topic of atheism.
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 08:59:35 -0400

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 05:50:47AM -0400, John D. Giorgis wrote:

> -------Original Message------- From: Erik Reuter
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Saying that
>
>   for hundreds or thousands of years, no one has publicized a
>   repeatable experiment demonstrating the existence of some god,
>   therefore, for all practical purposes, god does not exist
>
> seems much closer to a scientific statement than a faith statement.
>

> What about the "Divine Clockmaker" theory of God? i.e. that God
> set the universe into motion with some kind of divine plan, but
> essentially does not interfere in day-to-day existence on Earth.
> I believe that this theory is also compatible with belief in
> life-ever-after and salvation (but I'm sure Dan M. will correct me if
> I am wrong.)
>
> I would characterize this theory of God as being "religious", and I
> also believe that most atheists would disagree with this theory.  Yet,
> doesn't disagreement with this theory require a measure of faith, as
> Jon has suggested?

Disagreement with that (I promised to be more precise in my word choice
so I can't use theory here) hypothesis does not require faith. Saying
the hypotheis is definitely wrong might, but since, as I said, no
repeatable experiments are known to support the hypothesis, disagreement
is reasonable.

So as long as it's not an absolute disagreement ("it could 'never' happen") versus an open-ended one ("i could be wrong but it's highly unlikely") it's not faith?

Jon

Le Blog: http://zarq.livejournal.com