----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Seeberger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 7:04 PM
Subject: Re: Most Dangerous States

And, many more people lose money in traffic accidents than from crimes
every year.  So, maybe we worry to much about crime in general.
The real question is the relative merit of stopping crimes by arming
oneself with a gun in the nightstand vs. the demerits of that action.

Indeed, if you talk about assaults, both physical and sexual, one is much
much more likely to be assaulted by a family member or a friend of the
family than by a stranger.  Incest is far far more prevalent than sexual
assaults by strangers assaulting a woman on the street; and is
overwhelmingly more likely than someone breaking into a house to rape a
woman.

I realize that folks talk about these folks being monsters and needing to
seriously punish them.  But, if the numbers used by people working with
victims and survivors are right, roughly 1 in 20 men (maybe 1 in 25) are
pedophiles.  10%-20% of women have been sexually assaulted as
youth/children.  Priests and kids make the headlines, but, as my wife Teri
pointed out, odds are the numbers of priest perpetrators that make the
press are low because they are much lower than one would expect if the
fraction of perps among priests are the same as society in general.

In short, look around at the guys you hang with, and if there are >30 of
them, odds are that one has been or is a perpetrator

In reality, these guys don't go to jail, its the folks who commit less
serious crimes and are not good at hiding them or defending themselves that
go to jail. In particular, the jails are full of drug offenders.  Yet, the
more serious perpetrators are protected by their victims, so the family
doesn't have the shame associated with being a bad family.  This makes the
division between the criminal type and the law abiding citizen type much
harder to define.

I think we think of the criminal type as folks we don't know who are likely
to hurt folks that they don't know, including us.  The others are not
really important.

Dan M.

Dan M.