Since I just posted about legumes, I thought I'd pass
on this bit about upping the fiber in our diets:

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/70/81146.htm

"...But even if you have the will to eat more fiber,
you almost certainly don't have the way. Especially
since the recommended daily dosage was recently raised
from 25 to a throat-choking 38 grams. The obvious
solution -- eating 19 slices of whole-wheat bread a
day -- isn't practical. What you need instead is
subterfuge. Dietary deception. In other words, this
plan for smuggling more roughage into your life.

"Fill your juice glass with nectar instead of a watery
juice from concentrate. Nectar is apricot, peach,
pear, or papaya juice, mixed with fiber-rich pulp. It
packs more than a gram (g) of fiber per 8-ounce
glass...

"...Shower your pizza with oregano or basil. A
teaspoon of either spice gives you an extra gram of
fiber. Order it with mushrooms and you'll get one
more.
Build your burger with a sesame-seed bun instead of
the plain variety. Sesame seeds add half a gram of
fiber per burger...

"...Cook your broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots and
you'll take in 3 to 5 g fiber per serving, up to twice
what you'd have gotten had you eaten them raw. (Heat
makes fiber more available.)...

Debbi
who despises bran cereal, however good it is for her :P