From: Damon Agretto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Killer Bs Discussion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Science Fiction In General...
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 09:10:00 -0800 (PST)

> Thanks for the recommendations. As for Frank
> Herbert, I've been anxious to
> read the Dune series for a while;

I STRONGLY reccommend Dune; its probably my #1 fave SF
book of all time! If you decide to go with it, I'd
also reccommend Dune Messiah, which I found to be a
page turner. Some of the later books are not as good,
but worth reading if you really like the first two...

Damon.

Wow! You really think so highly of that book? Nobody that I know has felt so strongly about it. Considering your opinion though, I may go for it. Either Dune, or some new books in OS Card's "Alvin Maker" series.

Has anyone ever read that series? I had heard about it, but was never really enticed. Then the other day, as I was browsing around in the local Chapters bookstore, I spied "Seventh Son", which is the first book in the series, on sale for $4.99 Canadian. If purchased before Dec 29 you get a $4.00 mail in rebate on Card's newest Alvin novel "The Crystal City". Anyway I think it's a decent book. As many bad things as you can say about Card, you can't take away the fact that he's a good writer in the sense of how he writes. When I read his work, I feel as if I'm being cradled in his arms. The only other writer like that is Tolkien. I feel like unto a young child, being swept away into a fantastical dream world. It's great!!

-Travis