At 11:28 AM 12/21/03, Robert Seeberger wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ronn!Blankenship" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2003 2:36 AM
Subject: Re: Scouted: Environmentalism is Evil and Must Be Destroyed

> At 04:43 AM 12/20/03, Deborah Harrell wrote: > >--- Doug Pensinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > > > > > Maybe second-hand smoke isn't as dangerous as > > > professed, but I am sure as > > > hell happy I don't have to breathe it anymore. > > > >Anecdotaly, I got bronchitis *every time* I was > >exposed to 2nd-hand tobacco smoke for more than 3 > >hours straight (as at a bar, or driving in a car with > >a smoker -- I avoid such exposure religiously now). > ^^^^^^^^^^^ > > > Pun intended? > > It takes a lot less time than that for me to become ill from it. Even > being in a room where people have been smoking can do it. >

*Note: Not a defense of smoking*
[You may now return to the discussion which is already in progress]

Do any of you who get "ill" (Not sarcastic quote marks, I use them to mark
the difference between actual sickness and the kind of illness I am
positing)
around tobacco smoke get ill around other types of smoke?

Yes.

I had asthma as a child, though I eventually outgrew it. I still have allergies to various inhaled irritants. There have been numerous occasions when I went into a room and my nose and sinuses start running, my eyes start itching, swell, turn red, tear up, and close to the point I just about can't see at all, etc., and only then when I look for the cause do I discover that someone is or has been smoking in the room. The same thing happens _some_ cats, rabbits, and other furry animals: if I handled such an animal, I would get the above symptoms, plus itchy hives on my face and neck, and would have to take my allergy medication, then take a hot bath and put on clean clothes. Fortunately, I have gotten less sensitive to fur—Midnight was on my lap when I started typing this reply—though sometimes I still get a bit of irritation when I play with some cats (no obvious pattern as to whether they are mostly indoor or outdoor, long-haired or short-haired, etc.) Sometimes I have had a similar reaction when going into a fabric store. Some types of pollen and dust cause me misery as well. Other things do bother me as well, although it does seem that, like the furry animals, I have gotten less sensitive to some of them as I have gotten older.

-- Ronn! :)