--- Robert Seeberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
<snip>
> *Note: Not a defense of smoking*
> Do any of you who get "ill" (Not sarcastic quote
> marks, I use them to mark
> the difference between actual sickness and the kind
> of illness I am positing)
> around tobacco smoke get ill around other types of
> smoke?

Yes - I think I posted about my problems with smoke
from the Hayman fire here last summer; not only did I
wake coughing and with burning eyes (despite keeping
windows closed! and the fire being ~30 miles south of
my home) during the worst of it, but I developed
asthmatic-type shortness of breath afterward, such
that I had difficulty walking beside a student and
talking at the same time.  I am almost back at my
prior lung capacity, but not quite.  At least one
asthmatic patient died from Hayman smoke.  I also
avoid breathing in campfire smoke, and will develop a
dry cough if I am around one for more than a couple of
hours.

> How about on the freeway or on downtown streets?

No choking incidents, but I have pulled off when stuck
in near-stand-still traffic with 18-wheelers around; I
can easily tell if I'm following a diesel vs. unleaded
gasoline-using car by smell and what I'll call "taste
in the back of my throat."  (That's a bizarre term,
but a similar sensation occurred back when I was
working in a chem lab and somebody'd left particular
reagent bottles improperly capped.)  I avoid driving
behind or beside buses as well.

> It makes me wonder if Tobacco is only a secondary
> causative.

It's well-known that some
pollutants/irritants/allergens are synergistic or
additive; it is also true that those with reactive
airways, such as asthmatics and those with severe
respiratory allergies, are more susceptible to such
stimuli.  One of the many possible contributors to the
rise in asthma/allergies is the triggering of
'genetically vulnerable' persons by various
environmental insults, including tobacco smoke and
industrial pollutants.

Tobacco smoke is directly toxic to the respiratory
cilia, and they cease their proper functioning (to
sweep mucus with its entrapped particles up to the
throat where it is either swallowed or coughed out)
after chronic exposure (I think "chronicity" can be
quite variable, and there is again probably a genetic
component to how much smoke will cause impairment of
the 'ciliary elevator.').  After being smoke-free for
days->weeks, some cilia will recover function and
start sweeping again -- this is why moderate->heavy
smokers who have quit recently will complain, "Now I
cough more than when I was smoking!"

Debbi
Smoke Gets In My Eyes And Hair And Lungs And...Maru