On 27 Jan 2004, at 2:03 am, Dave Land wrote:

My own 266MHz beige PowerMac mostly sits around collecting cat hairs because it's just too slow.

Too slow for some things, but I have one of those working very nicely as a server running 24/7 under Mac OS X 10.2.8 . It has Apache and MySQL and a MUSH and an RSS news aggregator and Syslogs my firewall too. It manages months of uptime at a stretch (between security updates) - my only concern is that its original 6GB HD, which must be about six years old, will fail.

It was only about ten years ago that a 100MHz Pentium with 32MB of RAM running NetWare and Oracle served the entire department I worked in ... so a 266MHz G3 with 512MB RAM is a way powerful server :)

--
William T Goodall
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"It is our belief, however, that serious professional users will run out of things they can do with UNIX." - Ken Olsen, President of DEC, 1984.