From: "Jim Sharkey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: This Is Spinal Ta-, er, Metallica
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:33:37 -0500 (EST)

Travis Edmunds wrote: >Just to name a few that I'm into though, how about: <Snip> I dug a lot of the bands on your list, though I feel Nirvana is overrated,

And so they are, in some respects. However they were influential. One cannot deny that they breathed fresh air on a somewhat stagnant musical world. Specifically rock music, in it's own broad spectrum. Great musicians? I think not. Although Dave Grohl is one of the better drummers that I have ever heard, thus making him pretty decent.

I think what made Nirvana so "great" can be summed up in one word - INNOVATIVE. Cobain could do a lot with only a few chords, and that particular style of music was taken to the mainstream with Nirvana. Add that to their anti-rockstar image and you have popularity.

In any case, I like Nirvana's music. In fact, I like it a lot. It's hate made beautiful.

I can't
get into Silverchair, White Lion or Papa Roach.

I can understand Silverchair. And to an extent, Papa Roach. But one must understand that the Roach took an entirely different approach to their sophomore album. Casting away the whole rap-metal bit in favor of a punk approach that hearkens back to their roots. I also like the fact that their first album, though rap-metal, is a complete homage to Iron Maiden. They're a solid band.

As for White Lion, I'm suprised you don't like them. Their lead guitarist is amazing. And he has clear influences from the likes of Satriani, which makes for an interesting listen. For the record, I don't consider them hair metal.

I liked that
Manowar made your list; I remember listening to them back in high
school, and it's amazing to me that a relatively unknown metal band
from the 80's still has fans.

Yeah, they're a great band, doing their own thing. And one of those bands that garners so much respect from people completely immersed in music. They, like Nirvana can be summed up in one word - INTEGRITY.

>Classical, now there's something worth talking about. What >composers do you like?

Stravinsky is probably my favorite, and so are his late Romantic
contemporaries, followed by many of the commonly known composers
like Mozart, Beethoven, et. al.  I like opera in small doses; it's
not something I listen to too often.  It's good, but sometimes a
little overwrought.  :)

Outside of Stravinsky and Beethoven, I don't really listen to a
sufficient breadth of classical music to specify other composers as
favorites; I'm more into individual pieces, really.

Jim
A little culture mixed in with the metal is good for you Maru

Ever hear any Niccolo Paganini?

-Travis "how about Vivaldi" Edmunds