----- Original Message -----
From: "Travis Edmunds" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2004 11:15 AM
Subject: RE: This Is Spinal Ta-, er, Metallica

> I think what made Nirvana so "great" can be summed up in one word -
> INNOVATIVE. Cobain could do a lot with only a few chords, and that
> particular style of music was taken to the mainstream with Nirvana. Add
that
> to their anti-rockstar image and you have popularity.

I really can't see Nirvana as being all that innovative.  Granted, the
competition for innovation at that time was close to zero.  But, the
general type of music they played had been out for roughly 15 years.  Think
about "Tonight's the Night" by Neil Young and Crazy Horse, or Ziggy Pop or
the Ramones from the mid-70s.

Then compare that to the innovation of the Beatles, Jimi, the Dead,
Santana, Zepplin, the Who, Zimmy the elder, Yes and the Stones.  Granted
much of that sounds like chiche now, but it wasn't then.  At their best,
the Beatles showed more innovation from album to album than Nirvana did in
its whole career.

Dan M.