From: "Dan Minette" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: This Is Spinal Ta-, er, Metallica
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:21:29 -0600

----- Original Message ----- From: "Travis Edmunds" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Monday, February 16, 2004 11:15 AM Subject: RE: This Is Spinal Ta-, er, Metallica

> I think what made Nirvana so "great" can be summed up in one word -
> INNOVATIVE. Cobain could do a lot with only a few chords, and that
> particular style of music was taken to the mainstream with Nirvana. Add
that
> to their anti-rockstar image and you have popularity.

I really can't see Nirvana as being all that innovative.  Granted, the
competition for innovation at that time was close to zero.  But, the
general type of music they played had been out for roughly 15 years.  Think
about "Tonight's the Night" by Neil Young and Crazy Horse, or Ziggy Pop or
the Ramones from the mid-70s.

I beg to differ sir. Innovative is indeed the operative word. From the structure of the music to the ultimate presentation of it. No other band at this time (or before this time) channeled so much hate and angst through such a simplistic and beautiful medium. And I fail to understand the comparisons to Neil Young, the Ramones and Ziggy (did you mean Iggy?) Pop. Other than the fact that no band is 100% original, and must be influenced from somewhere along the line by someone, I simply do not see your point. Note however that being influenced does not mean imitating another band or artist. Styles are reworked and made ones own. As is the case with any and all bands, with little or no exceptions.

Then compare that to the innovation of the Beatles, Jimi, the Dead, Santana, Zepplin, the Who, Zimmy the elder, Yes and the Stones. Granted much of that sounds like chiche now, but it wasn't then.

Some of those bands/artists listed are right on the mark so to speak. But it still doesn't downplay Nirvana in the least.

At their best,
the Beatles showed more innovation from album to album than Nirvana did in
its whole career.

Dan M.

Fair enough. Especially considering the time-frame. But yet again, I must say that it doesn't downplay Nirvana in the least.

-Travis