On Dec 11, 2004, at 4:39 PM, Gautam Mukunda wrote:

--- Warren Ockrassa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Which is even more disgusting, since half of them
were AROUND when Viet
Nam was taking place. How pig-stupid ass-backwards
do you have to be to
not even recall the lessons of history you've lived
through?

--
Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books

Wow, Warren, political scientists, historians, and just about everyone else have been discussing Vietnam for thirty years, trying to figure out exactly what the "lessons of Vietnam" are - and you know for sure what we can learn from that war? Pray tell, do share them with us.

Let's see. For starters, don't let old hawks like Rummy and Cheney grab the reins. Um, don't assume that US forces will be welcomed by the natives. Never assume you've got a situation in hand before you've completely controlled a territory. Don't EVER assume the entire world wants to be just like the US. Never try to mix conquest with parsimony.

That's a start, I think. I find it surprising you've overlooked the above; to me it's glaringly obvious.

-- Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books http://books.nightwares.com/ Current work in progress "The Seven-Year Mirror" http://www.nightwares.com/books/ockrassa/Flat_Out.pdf