On Sun, 1 May 2005 22:16:13 -0500, Dan Minette wrote
> From: "JDG" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > O.k. Dan, call me crazy, but doesn't the word "approve" imply, well,
> > "approval?" And isn't that far more akin to "getting permission" than
> to "serious consideration"?
>
> But, he was referring to Kerry's position which was "serious consideration.
> It is Cheney who indicated no difference between the two.
> Serious consideration was translated, by Cheney, into approval.

Precisely. It is the Bush administration that has consistently and
purposefully conflated giving serious consideration with getting permission.
I understand the difference. They understand the difference. But they know
that there are people out there -- "swing thinkers," since we're not having an
election -- who haven't formed a definite understanding of difference, so they
speak *as though* they were the same thing. It eventually becomes "common
knowledge" that those damn liberals are demanding that the US ask other
nations to be allowed to take action. With something like 80% of the talking
heads on TV being booked by organizations who support the administration, it's
no wonder it starts to smell like common sense. Then, by the clever conversion
of "permission" to "permission slip" to activate the school-child frame, they
made it even more repulsive.

To reiterate, because all the flies buzzing around this particular draft
animal's corpse make me think that it might get up and run again:

- I understand the difference.
- It is not who has conflated the two, it is our president's handlers.
- They did so to move casual listeners to believe that the likes of
  Sen. Kerry would enslave our nation to others.

Dave