At 03:54 PM Thursday 5/24/2007, Charlie Bell wrote:

>Not really. It's just a lot more effort to go to the market, or plan
>out your meals, than it is to just order pizza.
>
>Charlie

I was reading a series of articles and letters in
the _Salt Lake Tribune_ recently which covered an
experiment in Utah:  government officials were
challenged to live for a week on the same amount
that a similar-sized family would receive from
the state in food stamps.  Those who believe that
the point which Mauro makes is not important —
that starchy foods like potatoes are much cheaper
to get enough of to fill up to the point where
you and your kids do not feel hungry and
miserable all the time than fresh fruits and
vegetables — and that the primary problem is that
it is so much easier simply to eat out or order
in might consider trying the same
challenge:  find out what the state you live in
pays a family the size of yours in food stamps
and live on that amount.  (As some of the
aforementioned items in the SLTrib brought out,
it is not permitted to supplement the food which
the food stamp amount will purchase from any
other source, including what you may have on hand
before beginning the experiment — most folks who
have to apply for food stamps or other assistance
from the government have little if anything on
hand by the time they reach that point and
certainly do not have the opportunity or in many
cases the skills to plan ahead for hard times
like that — and to be more fair and accurate,
since food stamps are paid on a monthly basis in
most states the experiment should last a full month rather than just a week.)

-- Ronn!  :)