I have a question about your trip around Australia.  Did you only travel on
low traffic roads, or multi-lane roads, or roads with wide shoulders that
can easily accommodate a bike?

The reason I ask is that I was thinking about bikes and traffic as I drove
to up to Austin for a funeral.  There were a number of bikes on a two lane
road that was on the first part of my trip and they coexisted well with
traffic, driving on a paved shoulder that was, for all practical purposes, a
bike lane.

However, if they road in the main lane, they would not have coexisted well.
Instead, there would be very long lines forming behind them....at least
scores of cars long, if not hundreds.  On the road I was thinking of (FM
1488 from I 45 to US 290 for you Texans), if a cyclist were to ride the
entire way at, say 20 MPH, the line would stretch for miles behind them.

Virtually every cyclist I've seen picked routes in which they wouldn't cause
massive problems, so I've not seen this as a problem.  But, if they did ride
in the main lane of a number of roads, traffic on those roads would be a
nightmare.

Dan M.