I thought that might be the case.

> > them.
>
> If they were to intentionally make it impossible to pass, but really
> it wouldn't, because like every other slow vehicle, cyclists will
> pull over and let a line of traffic through when it's safe to do so.

Well, in the cases I'm thinking of, traffic is so heavy they would end up
going 1-5 mph if they pulled over every time 20 cars got stuck behind them,
and then only got back on the road when it was clear behind them.  Plus, it
would be dangerous to pull into traffic going 60 mph, even if there is an
opening long enough to ride for 30 seconds before the next car has to slow
behind you.  Most cyclists simply avoid roads like that.  I see occasional
exceptions, as when a few cyclists went on a freeway frontage road, causing
the traffic to snarl.  IIRC, there was some politics behind it, because they
believed everyone should use bikes. I remember one cyclist at work who
strongly supported the action.  The way I think this should be handled is to
make this type of action (refusing to pull over when one is causing a
massive backup by going slow) a ticketable offense.  I think we agree that
any group of people have a certain percentage of offensive idiots among
them....and laws like this should have no effect on the average, reasonable
cyclist.

> Sure. But cyclists tend to not want to cause undue irritation to
> motorists, and with the exception of one couple I met as a result of
> touring who seemed to rub everyone they meet the wrong way, all the
> cyclists I've met out on the open road have been well aware of how to
> ride sensibly.

I agree with that statement, I've just been irritated by the exception who
insist that, since bikes were better for the environment, rude actions like
snarling traffic are justified.  One of the reasons I asked is that I wanted
to see the limits on how far folks here think cars drivers should go to
accommodate cyclists.  As far as I can tell, we seem to be in agreement on
that (to within a quibble or two).

Dan M.