Curtis Burisch wrote:
> It _is_ an improvement, if you give it a chance.  Where over the years
> the Menus became nearly non-sensical containers of cruft (what was the
> difference between the old "Edit" menu and "Tools" or "Insert"?
>
> <schnipp>
>
> I'm a software engineer, and I hate the new ribbon interface -- yet it's
> pervasive: all of the new applications I'm writing incorporate this. I'm
> writing this stuff. Yet I hate it. Maybe one day it will grow on me -- but
> not yet. Have some pity for the poor techies who're forced into the new
> paradigm!

I'm a software engineer as well, but have not had the "pleasure" of a
project that required me to use a ribbon interface.

Your clients are probably asking for ribbons for ribbons sake and you
may be giving them what they want but not exactly what they need...
Have you seen the presentations from Jensen Harris?  There's a lot of
good things he talks about (including the importance of lots of
usability testing and lots of automated feedback of product usage) in
his presentations on and about the ribbon.  Well worth the attempt to
find the presentations that you can online.

--
--Max Battcher--

Not all UI has to look like the current Office Maru