At 10:33 AM Thursday 4/24/2008, you wrote:
>On 4/24/08, Ronn! Blankenship <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > >What else is like this... endless "upgrades" to convince people that their
> > >perfectly good old product is obsolete?
> >
> > Digital TV, frex?
>
>  Isn't digital TV an entirely new product? Or are you suggesting
>everyone has cable already so it is pointless?
>
>  Martin

Nope.  I'm talking about people like Nick's little old lady, whom
(I'm guessing) does not have cable (If not her specifically, there
are millions like her who don't.) and who has to sometime in the next
9.5 months make another trip to the store and fork over part of her
Social Security check to buy at least a converter box (not free even
with the coupons) if she wants to keep watching the news or
whatever.  Obviously of course the corporate folks hope she and the
millions like her will start subscribing to cable and replace her
old, perfectly functional TV with a new HD set in order to keep
watching whatever they watch.  And the claimed reason the switchover
is mandated by law is to free up the bandwidth used by analog TV
broadcasts so it can be auctioned off (bringing in more money to the
Federal government) to companies who want to provide new wireless
services, as if the roads have gotten so much safer recently that
drivers need more wireless gadgets to distract them from the task of
driving and give them something to look at other than the road.

. . . ronn!  :)